"Sewdreaming" in NYC

Some last minute business called me away to New York this past week, leaving my almost-complete Oolong dress on the sewing table a bit longer. Argh!

I'm still in the city and just thought I'd share some photos of a new-to-me fabric and knitting store I visited in Brooklyn today. It's called the Brooklyn General Store and is located in Carroll Gardens. I used to live around here and never knew this existed, but then again I wasn't sewing in those days so...

pic name
pic name
It looks like an old-fashioned general store (or it actually was one, not sure). I love the ladder on the track up against the shelves seen in the photo on the left. I wanted to climb on it and sail across the room like Belle in Beauty and the Beast! Behind the ladder is a box full of Colette Patterns. There are also a lot of cute Japanese fabrics.


Have you been here? I was good and didn't buy any fabric! I did pick up some yarn for a little knitting get-together a friend is having tomorrow. I'm going to attempt the snood pattern that Karen from Did You Make That? posted on her blog. She's inspired so many versions that when I was looking for a beginner level project for tomorrow that's what came to mind! I think we tend to call those cowls here in the States, but I like the sound of snood better (was anyone else addicted to the game "Snood" back in the day?!).


Oh, and I also attended the BurdaStyle launch party a month or so ago here in NYC! It was held in a neat old bookstore in SoHo, and I found out later that the red dress in the photo here was created by Casey of Elegant Musings. Really cool to see the projects in person, but boy was it toasty in there. I also said "hi" to Gertie real quick, I'm sure she got a lot of those that night!


And I'll leave you with a glimpse of the holiday shops and the glowing marble fountain in Bryant Park. I bought some earmuffs to warm myself up and just enjoyed walking around, listening to the Christmas music, and watching people ice skate. Such a festive time of year in the Big Apple.

So long for now, and I hope to be near my sewing machine sometime soon. I haven't forgotten you, Oolong II!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "What's Outside of Pleasantville?" Dress

The Traveling Beignet (and a Hat!)

Colette Oolong: The Sydney Harbour Dress