Lullaby Lamb Felt Doll

Wow, it's been too long since I last posted. Sheesh. Anyway, I am *this* close to completing a second Colette Oolong dress so hopefully I can include it in this week's Sew Weekly "Do Over" challenge!

I shared this Lullaby Lamb felt doll project over at the Crafty Christmas Club blog and have the all-clear to post here since I gave it to the little girl recipient on Thanksgiving (won't be able to see her on her birthday, which is around Christmas). She's turning 1 so I wanted to make her a doll for the special day! The pattern is a design from Gingermelon, an Etsy shop with a bunch of adorable doll patterns available (I want that owl doll. I mean, can you go wrong with an owl named Orlando complete with spiffy hat? Genius.). She's based in Canada, but her patterns are sent through e-mail and I received mine almost right away. Must give credit to Paunnet for featuring her as part of her Etsy shop series.



The lamb came together pretty easily and I'm very happy with how it turned out. Basic embroidery stitches are used to join the pieces. The original doll height is described as 3.5" (~9 cm) sitting down so I doubled the size of the pattern pieces to get a larger doll. Most pieces are whip stitched together and then stuffed with polyfil, including the wee snout.

Materials include:
  • High quality woolen cream felt for the body from Purl Soho in New York. It doesn't pill like cheaper felts and has a smooth feel (though I admit using cheaper felt for the flower at the head and the pillow.)
  • Leftover fabric from my first-ever skirt for the foot pads and inner ears.
  • Seed beads at the center of the flower.
  • Silk satin ribbon at the neck, also from Purl Soho.

I attached the pillow to the body of the lamb so it wouldn't get lost. My sister chimed in, "Yeah, you know she's going to rip that pillow right off." Little Riley definitely went right for the pillow, but - in round 1 at least - she was no match for my threading skills, aha! 

I'd love to make this again or try some of her other patterns. I know it'll go a lot faster now that I've done it once. I hope everyone celebrating had a wonderful Thanksgiving! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "What's Outside of Pleasantville?" Dress

The Traveling Beignet (and a Hat!)

Colette Oolong: The Sydney Harbour Dress