Pendrell Blouse & Beignet Skirt!

Alrighty, a completed project for the blog! This thing's been lonely for awhile with just a couple of paragraphs to its credit so I'm glad I got something up before the end of the month. Phew.

The Beignet skirt from Colette Patterns was made last year when I was still in L.A. enjoying that mild winter. I used cotton canvas for the shell and a green voile for the lining, and with all the concentration in the world made 11 buttonholes for those brown buttons. I was very proud of my Janome, it worked through those with no problem! I love the color and feel of the skirt. Colette patterns are designed with very little ease so it's a good idea to go up a size if you're between sizes.

And now for the newest garment in my handmade wardrobe - the Pendrell blouse from Sewaholic Patterns!  I just happened to find Tasia's blog last fall and am very glad I did. She has excellent tutorials and such a great, feminine style. This is her very first pattern; she designs for pear-shaped women (which I'm not), so I just brought in the hips of my size and voila!  Tasia is hosting a sew-along if you're interested in making this blouse and need a little guidance.

The blouse is meant to be semi-fitted and tucked in. I went with View B since I don't have anything with ruffles and wouldn't have thought about them otherwise.  I figured I'd give them a go, even though my shoulders and hips are about the same width and I wasn't sure if they would look good on me.  Sewing's all about trying new things and if they don't work out, we move on, right? :)



I used a silk/cotton blend that was listed as "silk/rayon" in the store.  It didn't feel as slippery as silk/rayon, but I trusted the fabric store over my own judgment and only happened to confirm my suspicion when I later saw the fabric on Gorgeous Fabrics, listed as silk/cotton.  So, long story short, I'm not sure the ruffles are draping as much as I'd like them to, and as the pattern calls for, but I still think they work.  The ruffles and sleeves were fun to gather, and the fabric feels great.  I accidentally pre-washed it with too much softener, which made the fabric smell like fresh laundry every time I pressed it (might have to do that more often, mmm!).   The only thing that threw me for a loop was the neck binding -- it said to cut 2 of those, but I only used 1 in the end and it worked out fine.  But, I'm wondering, did I miss something?? 

I'm participating in Sunni's (The Cupcake Goddess) Trouser Sew-Along and I know this blouse will work well with those!  I'm even scheming for another Pendrell, view C sleeveless, and adding lace to the sleeveless arm opening.  I have a (now old!) blouse from B. Moss that looks similar and I think it would look nice with the wide leg trousers I'm making.

P.S.  Larger images also on Flickr

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "What's Outside of Pleasantville?" Dress

The Traveling Beignet (and a Hat!)

Colette Oolong: The Sydney Harbour Dress