1950s Rise & Shine Apron

Hello! It's been awhile (well, only a week). Anyway, thought I'd share this apron I made over a year ago that I included in this week's apron challenge at the Sew Weekly. Kind of cheating, but at least I admitted it was from last year!

Whoa, bright day / bright photo


The pattern is Kwik Sew 3547 and I used this "1950s Kitchen" fabric from Michael Miller. The pockets, yoke and apron are accented with red bias trim for a little zing. I placed the cuckoo clock at the center of the yoke as a kind of "time to eat!" reference. This pattern is super easy to put together, and makes for a great gift! I think it only uses 1 1/2 yards of fabric and it's nice to pull out a piece of fabric that you wouldn't normally wear otherwise. In the photo above I'm holding a tea canister I picked up from the Pasadena Flea Market when I lived in Los Angeles. It's from the 1950s and is brushed aluminum - I almost have the entire set! I see them all the time on eBay.


The two little pockets are handy for little items, though admittedly I don't stick things like a whisk in it when I remember to use it for cooking. Sometimes I think an apron like this would also be useful for those times I eat pasta and the tomato sauce always seems to find a way to my shirt (even if just a little speck, gah, clumsy!).


In other news...

  • I finally put a project up on BurdaStyle - my trousers from the last post. I wore them to Cirque du Soleil last weekend - it's always satisfying to wear something you just finished, don't you think? And, thanks to the Sew Weekly ladies for the special mention in the weekly newsletter! It was a fun surprise when I opened the email :)
  • The Colette Sencha Blouse:  hmmm, though I've seen pretty versions, I'm not so sure about this pattern on me after making a muslin of view 3 (the one with the keyhole opening). Maybe I'll feel better about it after lowering the neckline, as I've seen others do because of the "choking" feel. I tend to prefer v-necks or scoop necks, basically anything that's not a turtleneck (ick!), but I thought the keyhole version would be a nice option for me. Rather than dwell on something that I'm feeling so-so about, I've put this blouse to the side for now. 

Off to cook some cabbage soup with my handy apron, have a good one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "What's Outside of Pleasantville?" Dress

Cat Got Your Sewing?

The Traveling Beignet (and a Hat!)